Sunday, August 28, 2016

Light the Fire in You

Done!

Not done-done but started-done, Celebrate the Day is launched with seven full days of entries, and featured items up through the end of November. The plan for daily entries got changed when I saw a way to make a tidy little index without having to use each day's posts in the sidebar "My Blog" list as a guide for finding specific dates. More work but I think it makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

On good days I'm gonna come over here and say a little about the events and people in that day's post. There's very little to cover on August 28 once you get past the murder of Emmett Till (1955) and the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom (1963). All I can think of is, if you're a moderately famous or accomplished black person with this birthday, the odds of being included in a Today in Black History list are about the same as being born on December 25 and not getting a birthday present wrapped in Christmas paper. So, happy birthday to Rita Dove (1952) and Quvenzhane Wallis (2003), and to anybody else I don't know about who's celebrating today.

I did happen to find a great quote by Josephine Baker from her MOW speech: “I am not a young woman now, friends. My life is behind me. There is not too much fire burning inside me. And before it goes out, I want you to use what is left to light the fire in you.”

Yep, I can identify with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment